Hallo from England - sometimes Saxony !

Vorstellung und Umbaustories / Restaurierungen
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

RE: Hallo from England - sometimes Saxony !

Beitrag von beachcomber »

Ralf / Heri,

First off - to all my German cousins - I apologise for my lack of German language.

Thanx for your welcome and your interest.

Ralf - yes I am very happy that my health problem is under control - I have it for the rest of my life, but I also have the medication !!

Heri - Adenau, is that the home of my hero Max Deubel ?

The project is growing with every month.

It started out as my "last" special build [ s a road bike ], but it has got a life of it's own. Especially when I had to sell my other project TR1 "Vindicator" Cafe Racer.

I am busy trying to develop a stand alone oil supply system for the oil cooler / turbo.

The very first "whatif" pic of the Weber with the bike [ VERY rough ] as bought.

Here is something like the exhaust system for the turbo - which sits where the OEM air cleaner box was.

The modified tank with final guide coat - now the real work comes with final patternmaking and finish before paint.

Here is the second - longer intake Weber manifold I had made [ thanx KK ]. I will go with the shorter one - I think !
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
Zuletzt geändert von beachcomber am Sa 25. Feb 2017, 10:53, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
"yep, nostalgia ain't what it used to be "
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

A reminder of what I started with !

You can save ANYTHING - almost.

The owner was going to scrap it until I bought it "for spares".
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
onkelheri
Z750Twin-Experte

Beitrag von onkelheri »

Wow ... you deserve the Nobel Price for Historic ....

And yes Deubel wins many Races, 2km from here ...

If it where my decision to find a Point to pump TurboOil... I will do it electric ore with a small piston, driven by the camshaft ... and/or take it direct from the Filtercentralbolt...

Happy Constructions...

Heri
Zuletzt geändert von onkelheri am Sa 25. Feb 2017, 12:11, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Erst wenn der letzte Slick verrottet und die Nordschleife unter Moos verschwunden ist, werdet ihr einsehen, dass man mit Hotelbetten keine Rennen fahren kann!"
"mens sana in carburetor sano"
©by onkelheri
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

onkelheri hat geschrieben: Wow ... you deserve the Nobel Price for Historic ....

And yes Deubel wins many Races, 2km from here ...

If it where my decision to find a Point to pump TurboOil... I will do it electric ore with a small piston, driven by the camshaft ... and/or take it direct from the Filtercentralbolt...

Happy Constructions...

Heri
Ahhhhh  .......... Max Deubel .......... many happy memories of him and the "Continental Circus" racing in the UK.

I met all the main sidecar boys at the Brands Hatch test days when I was a kid racer myself. Good old days - pass me the rose tinted googles.

Heri - I am nervous about "electric" for the pump for possible failure ?

Do you think the engine / stock pump has enough capacity to run the oil cooler / turbo feed ?

Another option I am thinking about is a small bike pump [ GSXR 600 ] driven from the alternator bolt which feeds direct [ via an oil filter ] to the oil cooler / turbo and returns to a separate oil tank - like a dry sump car system.

This keeps the turbo oil and supply completely separate from the engine demand - especially at high engine  loads.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

By way of explanation - here is the GSXR 600 oil pump.

It is very compact 165mm long and only 75mm high. It is "self contained" ....  that is - the inlet and outlet can easily be connected via hose.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

A bit more playing around today.

Trying to finalise the packaging of the turbo etc.

I'm now thinking separate dry sump style oil tank / supply for oil cooler / turbo. 

I can get a 2 ltr 'ish tank under the swingarm pivot area. It also means I can use speciality Turbo oil just for the turbo supply.

This will mean an absolute minimum of pestering other peeps for machining / fab work.

I should explain that I have no facilities for fabrication and have to get all my speciality work done by other people. Not much money to spare either !  

The exhaust is looking not only doable - but extremely sexy ! 

Still a lot of working out to do - but progressing nicely
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

So, while the "dry sump" idea was rattling around in my head, I thought I'd do a bit more research.

Then ......... light bulb time - how do peeps get on turbo'ing a two stroke with NO oil sump ??? 

Up into my "library" in the loft and I sorted out an old USA volume on turbocharging.

And -result, there's a chapter devoted to 2 stroke turbos :D - AND more important, the dry sump oil solution !!  :cool:

So I'm not reinventing the wheel, just refining it. At least there's a precedent for what I'm planning.

That does now seem the obvious ( and simple ) way to go.

I even found an oil cooler an my garage from an unknown bike [!!] and a remote oil filter housing from my car racing days.

I need to devise a drive for the Gixer oil pump ( probably the points side ). The alternator side would be better, but would require an oil seal. We'll see.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

Overthinking this - the answer is yes . Bild Bild

Always erring on the side of caution as I have all my design and manufacturing life, I was concerned that there might not be enough capacity from the stock pump output / oil reservoir.

However now I have the relevant figures to hand - 48 psi @ 4000rpm @ 90 degrees c.

However the important figure is the psi at which the bye pass opens, which is 57 psi AND the pump is capable of putting out more than 75 psi, which is the pressure the relief valve opens.

With a stock capacity of 4 ltrs. I would want to increase that by maybe 25%, which just happens to be the capacity of the oil cooler I have just found in my garage ! Bild

So, being kept awake most of the night with the remnants of this flu like lurgi [ 4 weeks now ], I had plenty of time to think about options - better than counting sheep. Bild

I am now looking at the following scenario - mechanical [ Gixer ] oil pump externally driven from the points side feeding direct the oil cooler with a tee off to the turbo, and returning the oil via one of the breather holes [ inside the breather tower ].

That still leaves the oil return from the turbo, which will probably go to a 1.5 ltr reservoir and then back to the crankcase. An alternative would be to double the input to the pump - one the feed from the sump, the other the turbo oil return. That means I don't need a separate scavenge pump.

I'll be doing a schematic in the next 48 hours to convince myself or not - and I'll post up the results.
onkelheri
Z750Twin-Experte

Beitrag von onkelheri »

I still think about too...
Erst wenn der letzte Slick verrottet und die Nordschleife unter Moos verschwunden ist, werdet ihr einsehen, dass man mit Hotelbetten keine Rennen fahren kann!"
"mens sana in carburetor sano"
©by onkelheri
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

onkelheri hat geschrieben: I still think about too...
Heri - Bonus with the Gixer oil pump.  :D

It arrived today. I did not know - but it has TWO feeds - one is high volume for oil cooling [ internal ] and the other is high pressure for the main engine bearings etc. This is for the patented Suzuki SCAS oil cooled system.

What are the chances of that being EXACTLY what I need ! Oil cooler AND turbo supply - happy.

I just have to devise [ and get made ! ] a drive from the points central bolt. The pump is driven by a small chain and sprocket, but I want to use a smaller plastic toothed belt drive system. This will also allow me to vary the pump drive ratio - if I need it.

I have a plan to mount the pump AND oil cooler under the sump - with protection of course. That means it could be retrofitted to standard bikes who want oil cooler.

The pump has plenty of output for my needs - and even a scavenge for the Turbo oil return. It looks like this system could easily be adapted and retrofitted to stock bikes [ non-turbo of course! ]

I have a clear idea in my head now, and will make some sketches over the next 2 days and post my ideas for comment.
Antworten