Hallo from England - sometimes Saxony !

Vorstellung und Umbaustories / Restaurierungen
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

Re: Hallo from England - sometimes Saxony !

Beitrag von beachcomber »

Thank you kindly for your words of encouragement.

Ha,ha yes !!! The "Butterfly" nut is from a 1950's Manx Norton ! The rest is BSA A10 repro [ Chinabay !! ]. The Manx nut has been on my office shelf for years - I bought 2 in 1963 ! They were about 1 euro for 2 !

I hope my welder friend will be here next week to tack the headers, then I can remove them and get another pal to mig weld them. I want to polish the completed pipes so it looks like one piece.

We now come to all the small detail work, brackets, mountings etc.

I also have to make new footrest mounting plates - the footrests will need to b further back - not a problem, we have found a local supplier of "scrap" alloy .... very cheap.

I have just bought a piece of aircraft grade alloy 25mm thick to use as the jig base for the twin plug head conversions.

Also, I now have my sample 20% uprated clutch springs. They will be Gold passivated and then I have a price for each set. I have to order 100 springs minimum to get a reasonable price. I will be able to offer them to club members [ UK and Germany ] with a 10% discount from the final price.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

The first jig has been made for twin plug conversion. Centre plug will be 10mm.
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
martin s aus b
Z750Twin-Experte

Beitrag von martin s aus b »

beachcomber hat geschrieben: Sa 1. Sep 2018, 00:42 ... Centre plug will be 10mm ...
Why 10 - 14 will just be fine! And if you use a straight instead of an angled plug connector you have a chance to grip it and get it out with the engine installed.

Martin

Doppelzündung außen.jpg
Doppelzündung innen.jpg
Du hast keine ausreichende Berechtigung, um die Dateianhänge dieses Beitrags anzusehen.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

Hi Martin,

thanx for your feedback. I already have a 14mm twin plug head, and want to see the difference with a 10mm taper seat plug.

I will also be unshrouding [ more room ] the plug and the excess threads in case they create a hot spot. I am using Nitrous for my first engine and Turbo for the next.

Have you had any experience with the APE crank case / head bolts ? I have contacted them to see if they will supply a kit for the Twin - they already produce a kit for the 4 cylinder motor.

I thank you for your interest.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

While researching twin plug heads I came across this little tweak for cylinder head studs / nuts.

APE make a kit for the 4 cylinder bikes and 4 of the studs [ 8 ] are interchangeable with the stock KZ items. Ideal for anyone making a bit of extra power - or just plain head gasket reliability.

I'm trying to talk them into selling the items we need in sets of 4. As they already make them, logic says it's just another sales outlet. However, big companies don't always work like that ! :rolleyes: We'll see.
martin s aus b
Z750Twin-Experte

Beitrag von martin s aus b »

beachcomber hat geschrieben: Mo 3. Sep 2018, 14:14 ... making a bit of extra power - or just plain head gasket reliability ...
Hi, the APE-studs are looking stiffer than the Kawasaki OEMs. Which advantage do you see in this, wouldn't I have to reduce the tightening torque and also get more basic setting of the screwing by using the stiffer studs. And what would I do about the four others they do not provide?

Martin
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

At the moment I am asking APE if they will supply just the 4 long studs and nuts as a kit specific for the twin. I am waiting for a reply. One of the guys on the DTT site has just done this conversion. I am waiting for some reply from him.

The main advantage of the APE studs is that they will not stretch, like the OEM parts.
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

Also - check the bad condition of the stud on the right - at the bottom !!!!
beachcomber
Z750Twin-Fan

Good news - the company that manufactures the APE studs and nuts will supply them to me in sets suitable for the KZ750 Twin !

I will order a 2 x sets for myself - if anyone else is interested in principle - let me know.

As ever price will depend on the order size and the cost of import - but will certainly be cheaper than buying a 4 cylinder set and throwing 4 studs and 4 nuts away !
onkelheri
Z750Twin-Experte

Beitrag von onkelheri »

Antworten