Rear tire size and brand for track days

Alles zu den Themen Fahrwerk, Motor, Vergaser, etc.
Antworten
KZkon
Twin-Forum Anfänger

Rear tire size and brand for track days

Beitrag von KZkon »

Hi folks! I'm new here. My name is Konstantine. Feel free to call me Kon. I currently live in the U.S.

Quick question for now, and then I'll fill out more info about me and my bike at another time. I promise.

I have stock rims on my 1979 b4. 19 inch front, 18 inch rear.

In May I will be doing my first track day with the bike.
I currently have Pirelli Sport Demons on the bike, the rear being a 120/90-18.

Pirelli sport demons are the only brand that the shop can find that fit this size rear (the front seems to be easier to find).

I just saw some Avon Roadrider tires that I believe are a bit stickier and better for the track. However, the rear only comes in 130/80-18.

My first question: will the 130/80-18 comfortably fit without rubbing the swing arm and chain guard? It is only a 10mm difference, 5mm per side. It looks like it will be okay, but I want to know if anyone has tried.

Second question: is it worth using the Avon Roadrider tires, or are the Pirelli Sport Demons similar enough to make it an unnecessary change.

Third question: does anyone have any other/better recommendations for track tires that will fit my stock rims? Reminder, I'm not racing. I'm doing track days which is just me on the track learning to ride safer, faster, better. I'm not competing against anyone. But, I would like some good, sticky tires nonetheless.

Thank you. I look forward to meeting you all and to hear your responses.
Twinfreak
Z750Twin-Experte

Re: Rear tire size and brand for track days

Beitrag von Twinfreak »

Hello and :welcome: here on Board Kon :headbang:
if you want good tires than search for Continental Race Attac oder Continental Road Attac th come in the sizes that you need .

Regards Eric
Michael
Z750Twin-Experte
Re: Rear tire size and brand for track days

Beitrag von Michael »

Hi Kon,
welcome to our forum !

Track days and also some races is what I do since 4 years now and it is a very good experience.

First of all, do not use a 130/80-18 on the stock rim. The tire doesn't have a good shape on that narrow rim.
The sides of the tire are pulled to much inwards and are very steep, so you can't use that additional rubber even at maximum inclined position.
Stay with a 120/90-18.

Here is a tire test for Youngtimer bike tires:
https://www.motorradonline.de/zubehoer/ ... 120-90-18/
Well, it is in german language, but Google will help to translate ;)

As you can see from that, both tires you have mentioned are not a good choice.
If available, go for the Conti Classic Attack:
https://www.continental-reifen.de/motor ... ssicattack

As my track and race Z750Twins doesn't use the stock rims/wheels, I had the chance to run these tires (Conti Classic Attack) on a modified Z400/440 and they work brilliant. You can see these tires in the pit lane mounted on much larger and more powerful bikes, so no worries about their feasability for a Z750Twin ;)

Good luck and have fun,
Michael
Denkt dran:
Die Drehrichtung des Motors an der Zündungsseite ist gegen(!) den Uhrzeigersinn.
Die Steuerkette nur bei montiertem Ventildeckel spannen, sonst droht ein kapitaler Motorschaden!
Allzeit Gute Fahrt!
Antworten